The world will be able to better fight the SARS-CoV-2 virus when it finds out where the outbreak began, the head of WHO said. He expressed concern about stigma and misinformation in the wake of the pandemic.
The World Health Organization (WHO) will send an expert group to China in the coming days to find the source of the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus. “We can better fight the virus when we find out everything about it, including how the outbreak began,” WHO Director General Tedros Adhan Ghebreyesus explained on Monday, June 29. He did not specify what exactly the mission of the group would be. For several weeks now, WHO has been trying to get China attract its experts studying the origin of the virus.
The pandemic caused by the new COVID-19 virus, has exposed “the best and worst qualities of humanity,” said Gebreyesus. He mentioned “touching examples of perseverance, ingenuity, solidarity and kindness,” as well as “disturbing stigma and misinformation.”
The global pandemic is only gaining momentum, the WHO Director-General said. However, many countries have made progress in fighting the infection, Gebreyesus added. He urged not to lose hope.
The COVID-19 outbreak occurred in China at the end of 2019. Since then, the SARS-CoV-2 virus has been detected in more than 10.3 million people on the planet while more than 506,000 people have died from the effects of the disease they cause. Most infections (2.5 million cases) and deaths (about 126,000) are registered in the United States.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.