Armenian Prime Minister Pashinyan called on fellow citizens to get armed in the conflict with Azerbaijan over Nagorno-Karabakh. He stated there will be no diplomatic solution to the Karabakh conflict for a long time.
Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan excluded a diplomatic conflict settlement with Azerbaijan over Nagorno-Karabakh. “We must be aware that the Karabakh issue, at least at this stage, and starting from this stage cannot have a diplomatic solution for a very long time. All such proposals must be considered completed,” on Wednesday, October 21, in Yerevan he said.
According to Pashinyan, Azerbaijan does not agree to anything other than Karabakh’s surrender. He urged fellow citizens to volunteer going to the front and fight till the end. “The Armenian people will be able to achieve an acceptable solution to the Karabakh conflict only with weapons in their hands,” Pashinyan stressed. He called on the mayors of all Armenian cities, heads of administrations and local self-government bodies to arrange the process of forming volunteer detachments that is to be transferred to the disposal of General Staff of the Armenian Armed Forces.
Baku’s reaction to Pashinyan’s statement
Meanwhile, Baku is talking about its commitment to a peaceful settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict. “Azerbaijan supports conflict settlement through negotiations in accordance with the existing roadmap according to the resolutions of the UN Security Council,” informed the statement of the aide to the President of Azerbaijan – head of the foreign policy department of the presidential administration Hikmet Hajiyev, Interfax quoted.
“At the same time, the Prime Minister of Armenia’s statements that” the conflict has no diplomatic solution “once again demonstrates that Armenia is not at all interested in settling the conflict through negotiations,” Hajiyev said. According to him, “making such a statement the leadership of Armenia itself recognizes that the goal of Armenia is to occupy Azerbaijan territories.”
Negotiations in Moscow
Earlier, Armenia and Azerbaijan foreign ministers held separate talks in Moscow with their Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov. The conditions for establishing a ceasefire were discussed at the meeting. Previously agreed truces were broken shortly after their conclusion.
The conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh escalated sharply in late September, when Azerbaijan launched a vast operation to return the region to Baku’s control. Since then, hundreds of people have been killed and wounded, including civilians.
Dispute over Nagorno-Karabakh
Nagorno-Karabakh is a region of Azerbaijan inhabited mainly by ethnic Armenians.
In the early 1990s, as a result of the armed conflict with Armenia and the Armenian population of Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan lost control over this territory. The ceasefire was established in May 1994, between Armenia and the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, on the one hand and Azerbaijan, on the other hand.
Until now, the negotiation process aimed at finding ways to a peaceful resolution to the conflict was mediated by the OSCE Minsk Group, which includes Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Germany, Italy, Sweden, Finland and Turkey. Russia, France and the United States are co-chairing. Azerbaijan does not consider the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic a party to the conflict and refuses to negotiate with.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.